Blackrock lighthouse which is 25 meter tall is the only lighthouse in Ireland which has an external staircase. The light was established on the 1st June 1835.
In the early days , a lighthouse keeper served six consecutive weeks on Blackrock Lighthouse followed by two weeks on Oyster Island. In those years, a heavy rowing boat would go out every 2 weeks to bring supplies to the lighthouse and relief the lighthouse keeper on duty.
Fossils in county Sligo
Now that we are talking about Benbulben, there is a plane wreck nearby Truskmore as well. A USAAF Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress plane crashed with 10 people onboard. 3 of them died
Oyster island lighthouse
In 1837, 2 lights were established on oyster island which were the leading lights to lead ships from Sligo bay into Sligo port. They were replaced with Oyster Island lighthouse, which together with the metalman formed the leading lights for guiding the ships. The light was converted from acetylene to propane on the 9th October 1979 . In 2003 the gas powered light was changed to solar powered
Oyster island as the name highlights was famous for its oyster fishery, with beds covering an area of seventy acres. In 1864, the oyster beds were raided by eight boatloads of men and twenty-five thousand oysters were taken.
In 1841, the population of Oyster Island was 28, mostly lighthouse employees and their families.
It was never difficult to get supplies as oyster island is close to the shore.